Sunday 7 May 2017

Week Summary


This week on Monday was a bank holiday, I did not hear much from the team on the bank holiday weekend and did not really get much done for the game on this weekend. I started working on the game from Tuesday onward in which I had quite a busy week a head.

On Tuesday I had a busy day, first me and Olivia went into university to meet the team for a catch up on our progress. I did not stay long as I wanted to get on with the work at home as it was quite busy. Ben L was adding more to game and sorting out the level, He has been working even more harder as we are two down at the moment (Curtis was back later in the week and working on the game), While me and Olivia focused on the aesthetics of the game and making it look presentable with title screens etc...

When I got home I started to play around with text fonts for the buttons.

  I messaged the team to see what text fonts they preferred everyone like 3 or 7 the best, In the end I decided with number 3, but after the decision I came across a font I thought was better suited.
  The Papyrus font. I felt that this was better suited as it looks worn.

These are the Stone buttons with the Papyrus font that were added to the tile screen. I think they work well with the whole theme, jungle. The team were happy with them and they worked well in the title screen. The buttons were created in Photo shop and I used different effects to achieved the markings.

(This is the replay button for the end screens, I forgot to add it on the Tuesday with the other buttons)

On Tuesday evening I finished my part for the title screen.  Me and Olivia decided together to do parts of the title screen together instead of doing one each or working on one screen and the other does another screen. To show that we collaborated together as a pair and to portrayed our own art styles this is why we did it this way.


This is the main character and some wreckage to go with him for the title screen. This was added into Olivia's environment piece for the title screen later on in the week.

Also on Tuesday I manged to to play around in Maya and create a very simple 3D model of a dock piece that we tend to add to the game near the exit scene with the boat in the final part of our game.

This is the simple model that I create in Maya, but it is not UV mapped. I placed the file into Drop box for Ben L, Ben R or Curtis to look at. I do not usually do 3D modeling especially in Maya but  wanted to give it ago, as it was very simple to do.I will however attempt to do more 3D modelling in my own time as I would like to learn more in depth in this skill. I did not do the UV's as I did not feel confident, next time I will try. 

 Ben L use my 3D as a reference and edited it in a way to create this piece above. He has added a texture using Substance designer, in game the dock is made longer. (This was done later in the week).

 This is the doc area added into the game, Now waiting for the boat to be added.

On Wednesday we had a Contextual studies lecture which was 'Choices: Morality and Economics'.
In this lecture we looked at the game 'Telltale- The walking dead', we looked at how in this game you have choices, choices such as giving food to others or yourself, and how these actions can effect the outcome of the situation or characters. We also looked at scarcity in video games, this could mean the rarity of an item in a video game. Fallout 4 is a good example with bottle caps, This is there form of currency in the game, how the character can buy goods, Without it you have nothing. We also looked at the theory of value.This lecture was very handy as it has given me a finalised topic for my research report.

In my report I will look at how post- apocalyptic and dystopian game world are influenced by both man made disasters and natural, how this can affect the characters in game and the player to progress.
For example the topic scarcity will be spoken about as I will be comparing Fallout 4 and Dishonured1/2 both have different elements to them such as fallout is by nuclear war, and dishonored is by power and disease. I will look at how these games relate also using other games such as 'The last of us'. Scarcity are both shown in both if not all of my chosen games. It is a idea that can be worked on.

Also on Wednesday I decided to go into Z Brush and work on a Z tile for the ground texture in our game, it was more of a try out more than anything and has not been used as I was told by Olivia that in Maya it did not import properly and topology was wrong in some areas of the plane. I did this just to give it ago and to try something I don't really do in Z brush. I believe Olivia is planning on working on this task next week, and she is planning on using Substance designer to texture the tile.

My tile that I created in Z Brush, This was for a muddy surface.

By the end of the week me and Olivia had finished the tile screen and near finished the Win screen.
With the Title screen we needed a control menu, so once the player clicks the controls button the controls menu will appear. I decided to do this task.

This is the final result of the control menu screen. I wanted to keep the theme consistent and thought drawing the movement keys and mouse as if they were made of stone would fit the theme well. This was added into the game by Friday.

 The first titles screen when placed into the game it was stretched. Olivia sorted this problem out by changing the page to 1920 by 1080. She had to add a little extra to the painting but not to much. Below is the final piece.

This is the final title screen. As you can see my character and the added wreckage works well with Olivia's environment piece, I think our styles work well together. In all I added the character all wreckage pieces and drag markings, fire lighting to wreckage (In middle) and bottom grass area which is textured. I am very happy with the outcome, it displays a piece of the plot well and I believe this is a good image to go by for the start of the game. Olivia is happy with the outcome too.

I started the lose screen by drawing out a bloody hand (Characters) me and Olivia hope to add a gem to this piece in which it shows he has been court with the gem and killed.





 I have also started the treasure trials logo for the game this will be placed on the title screen and (promo art if we have time to do).

This is a very rough sketch but it put across the logo well, Me and Olivia agree. I have started to do the final logo this will be done next Monday.

This is not yet finished but this is the win screen so far, Olivia worked on the background and I drew the boat with characters. Olivia wants to add waves to the water to give the painting motion. Olivia managed to get this done on the weekend, below is the final piece.

This is the final Win screen, with the added waves. It really does give the painting a feeling of motion.

By the end of this week me and Olivia have came to realise that this was a good way of putting both our art styles across in each piece and that we enjoyed working it together and worked well which we think had effective results.

 Also added into the game this week was a spear added to the now finished AI characters, Curtis has made the AI now chase you if you get to close and kill you when they do.
Change of materials to the AI. We were going to model and rig our own AI character like the ones I drew a few weeks ago, but we did not have the time to do this. If we ever continue to work on this game later on that is something we will add.

 Ben L also modeled this torch for the game it will guild and light up the path for the player.


No comments:

Post a Comment