Sunday 4 February 2018

Week Summary




This is the first week where things are starting to get back to normal with sessions and lectures and so on. We had our briefing for our last final project the end of last week. Since then I have been thinking if what my next project could be, I already had an idea before the briefing and have decided to stick with that idea. 

For my next project I have decided to base the theme around my dissertation, which was themed around a dystopian world such as the game Fallout 4. I would like to do some initial designs on a sci-fi robot which is affected by its environment. The robot will not be pristine in its appearance, it would have more of an incomplete design such as damage to certain areas broken pieces or even missing limb which is patched up using other objects such as a hook for a hand etc… If I was to describe how the robot would relate to in its image, it would roughly represent similar characteristics to the robot ‘Chappie’.



To create this robot, I aim to produce a number of silhouettes which I hope to capture a design that I am looking for. From there I will do more detailed designs similar to how I’d done my previous character model. I would like to model the high poly character using Zbrush, and using the skills and knowledge learnt from my previous project I would like to put these skills to use. To help me create this Zbrush model I aim to buy a book on character design in Zbrush and the art of Chappie book to help me with the initial design process. To texture this model, I am yet to decide if I would like to use the poly paint feature in Zbrush or use Substance painter, at this moment of time it depends on how much time I have. Adding to this project when the model is completed I would like to produce some nice high-quality renders and add them into Photoshop and create a UI menu. I picture the robot in the centre of the page, and on both sides, I will have some designs such as icons which shows stats of the robot, its name and a small description of the character and its inventory. I will research more UI designs to gain some knowledge and to expand further on what I would like. If I have time I would like to add a title screen also using a rendered shot of the robot with a title. I think doing an UI piece with my completed model will give this project more of an in-game representation. I have wanted to experiment with UI design for quite a while now, I have thought of going into UI after I finish my university degree. It would be good to have some actual evidence of this in my portfolio.

On Monday there were no sessions. I decided to think about the two-slide pitch that needs to be presented next week.

On Tuesday I had my anatomy session. I have not been to a session or two for a while due to the focus on hand in. I was not the only one that has not attended the sessions recently to which the session was a catch-up session. In the session the focus was on the lower leg muscles. It felt good to get back into this side project and to see results, the wax model is looking a lot fuller with its added muscles it is coming on nicely I look forward to expanding this model soon. In the afternoon I went into the new media lab for the first time. The room is definitely a lot bigger and I look forward to working in this room, I aim to work in the new media lab often as its good to see what other students are working on and to gather new ideas from each other. 







On Wednesday I was not in university as I had a hospital appointment. 

On Thursday we were given our grades. I was happy with my outcome and feedback. I look forward to starting my next project. Also on Thursday I finished my pitch which is now ready to show next Tuesday.

On Friday I went to the meeting to hear more information on the Disney trip. I have decided that I will not be attending as I feel that it is too close to hand in and it seems that there are not many year three students attending or interested. Still it is a nice idea and I would like to go but because of the circumstances I feel it’s not the right time. Also on Friday I created some mood boards to help with ideas for the robot character. Yet I feel I am not as motivated as I should be, hopefully in the next few days it will be easier to get some ideas to come to mind which will help me produce more work.



No comments:

Post a Comment