Sunday 13 May 2018

Week Summary



During the weekend I started to produce the second UI of a map hologram screen. I have tried to keep it consistent with my other character profile screen. By using the same text font, colours and style. The text was a downloaded font from https://www.dafont.com/retro-computer.font called ‘Retro computer’. 



On Monday, I traveled to Lincoln in the morning for my studio interview at Rockstar Lincoln. The interview wasn’t what I was expecting, I thought it would be quite stressful but it was quite a relaxed experience. I was still nervous that I think I came across very confident and friendly. I had to do a games test first which was timed I then went in for the interview which they asked me questions. The questions were more about myself I felt the interview is more like them getting to know me. The three members who interviewed me were very pleasant and friendly they made me feel at ease and it felt like I was having a casual conversation. I told me they would get back to me as soon as possible, probably midweek. After the interview I felt that it went well but I couldn’t tell if I done well enough to get the position, as there were times where I felt I could have answered one or two of the questions differently. After the interview I spent most of the day in Lincoln. 

As soon as I got home my phone rang stating that it was Lincoln. I didn’t expect to hear back so soon if I was successful or not. They said they were very impressed, they could see I was a team player, I had done well in the game test and that I had the skills they were looking for. Because I have also worked in the past that also helped and working at EGX Rezzed. They were happy to offer me the position of a QA tester! I happily accepted the offer. I felt very lucky to be given the opportunity as I know a lot of people did apply for this position which they told me during the interview. I believe I will have to start in early June. I am very happy that I have been given the opportunity, I know this is not an artist role but I feel grateful to have a position at Rockstar and straight after university has ended. My plan before was to go back home and finding work within the game industry whilst working in a retail job. I would have applied for UI artist roles, QA tester or even working within the promotional side of games just so I could get my foot in the door. So, I am very thankful to be given this opportunity as I find this will be a great time to gain some experience and to meet new people with the same interests. I still have plans to work as an artist in the games industry as I would like to carry on improving my artistic skills but for now this seems to be great opening and it would be silly not to take it. 

On Tuesday, I carried on with the UI screen for my map. I did manage to complete the screen. I knew the UI element would not take too long to complete as I have been keeping them simple. 



These are the some simple and easy to read run down buildings, they are the icons that show on the map of other enemy bases that you can go in and take over if you wish.

This is the L1 button that is displayed on screen to tell players that they can interact with to change the page. A R1 was also created.
This globe was put together by me but I did use the globe shape and edit it to how I liked. This shows the player the area that they are in within the gaming world.  

This is the final map design, I will place this on top of my chosen images. I wanted to keep the screen as similar as I could to the character profile screen so it flows well together. Again I have not added much text at all only in areas that I think it is needed. I have stated what each icon is clearly, such as point of interests and location icon. My inspiration has been from Fallout 4 but keeping the theme similar to the Alien films. I do feel if this was a real in game piece and you could interact with the piece for real I would of added a lot more detail, but for now as a still image on a character rendered piece I think it is portray well. 

On Wednesday, I did not do any work or go into university due to a pre- assessment hospital appointment. 

On Thursday, I went into university to work, since being given the opportunity to work at Rockstar and knowing that hand in is next week I would like to make the most of the time I have left here at university. Recently I have felt that I am not really a part of the University as much as I like due to so much going on such as my new job position and sorting out living arrangements in Lincoln, and the surgery I must have. It seems it has all happened all at once, but I would rather that than not have a set plan for when I leave University. I am trying to keep up with my work as well but I am doing okay for time as I have managed to complete one of the rendered images with the UI on top today. It would be nice to do a title screen scene but that was only if I felt I had the time to do so and it is less important. I would rather get the other UI rendered piece of the robot in full body shot finished before I start thinking about a title screen piece.

 This image at first was going to be worked on to be one of my final pieces. The more I edited the positions of the UIs I did not like the flow of he piece at all with both screens, something was off. 

I then done a quick test and thought maybe the colours did not contrast well together. I played with the colour of the map UI screen but it still did not feel right to me. I believe there is to much going on in both areas from left to right and it is distracting the viewer from the model itself. The composition does not flow, so I decided to only present one UI screen with the model. I chose the character profile screen as I felt the viewer would get more information from that and a better understanding of the character. I will display the character profile UI piece with my other pieces as well at the exhibition.  

This is what the final close up shot with the character profile UI screen looks like. I think it looks a lot clearer now. I have edited the screen to give it a glow effect and also added light effects to the robot and glow to the eyes as this is a part of the process of how the character can use the UI. 

On Friday, I went into university to work and to go to afternoon lecture but the lecture was cancelled. So I continued with placing the UI on my second rendered shot of the robot in full body view.  

This is the final piece for the full body shot of the robot using the UI. I used the same methods as the close up shot and kept to the same settings as the other so it does not look out of place with the other. As if  had one that glowed more than the other it would not look like it was from the same piece. I  have tried to keep it consistent.  

Here I have done a quick possible layout of what my work would look like shown at the exhibition. I would like to have my main three rendered images showing a close up of the character using the UI and a full shot of the character using it. Then a rotation piece of my character from front, side and back view. Under that the UI piece that I used within my model to show the viewers a clear image of what the original piece looks like. And I guess my details and business cards can be on the right hand side. Also if possible a turntable of my model would be a good asset.

Here is another option on a possible layout. I will keep my mind open at this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment