Saturday 3 December 2016

Weekly Summary

First a recap the last week of term starting from 14th November till Wednesday the 16th (Last day before term).

Monday (14th November) We had a guest lecturer come in to talk to us "Get in the game" talk by "Aardvark Swift". The talk was mainly about what the games industry is looking for and tips on how to apply and what your portfolio should look like. The talk had some great tips on the employment process and how a CV should be produced. It was an interesting talk and I did learn a few things that I didn't know before especially about the CV and what should and should not be written on it. On the Wednesday (16th) I had my mid unit review. This was a good chance to play other peoples games so far. It was great to go through my game with a tutor as I now know on what things I can add and improve on, the feedback wasn't bad I seem to be on track. It was nice for others to play and see what they also thought of my game.

I also got some feedback from my game by other students below are images showing the results. Overall not bad feedback, mostly it shows  things that I have been told that I could add or change.




 

________________________________________________________________________________

This is the first week back to university since we broke up from term.  This week me and my group have been very busy with our Game jam. On Monday we had a talk from "John Allen" who works for "Splash damage" they are the creators of the very popular video game "Gears of War" series. The talk mainly was about how Josh works in UX and UI design. To be honest I didn't know much about UX and UI design but have found that it is a very interesting subject It has made me think of looking into it a lot more, it is a option. He also gave us some good tips on what company's are looking for and the Dos and Don't on how to apply for jobs within the industry.

After the talk we were given our brief for the game jam that consisted this week the theme for our game was 'boiling point'. We had to get into a group of 5 and make a game on UE4 with the knowledge of what we know so far, we had a few days to do this. We used Monday evening to go over some ideas with my group, we then met up on Tuesday to go over our solid idea and we started from there. We had till Friday morning to get it completed fully. We decided to go with a 2D space invader theme platform game, We went with a 2D game because we were all 2D artist not really 3D. Although this was a downfall we still managed to do well with our game and produce a fully working game with 4/5levels. Our game idea is a humor themed game were you play as a boy called "Jimmy" who has upset a load of internet stereotypes. A herd of them come to attack you and you need to destroy them by shooting them while they fall towards you. The further you progress you will then face a boss at the end of each level that will shoot back at you. The style of the game we were going for was 8 bit, we added 8 bit music and sound effects. The levels had different stereotypes from the internet to defeat, them being:
 1. Bronys/Nerds.
 2. Politics, characters such as "Trump and Hillary".
 3. Furry's (Did not appear in game through a problem, not enough time to fix).
 4. Internet memes such as "Pink guy, Grumpy cat" and others. 
 5.Vegan enthusiast/ Gym guys/Girls.

We called our group "Factory reset"  and our game was called "Jimmy and the keyboard warriors".
In the group Me, Hannah and Grace done the art work, from character designs to title screens and lasers, and then Will and Olivia Put the game together on UE4 doing the mechanics and blueprints. It was a very busy week but was also very fun, we didn't win but we did get mentioned in the talk after our game jam which was a bonus, we were all happy by the result. We were told that our game was a little hard to get through to the next levels, knowing this we did go and change this and made it a little easier for the players after the talk, in doing so people did enjoy the game a lot more. It felt good for people to play our game and enjoy it, by doing this game jam I felt it gave me a better understanding of how the industry maybe especially when it comes to working as a team. The game jam also helped me practice Photoshop in more depth and produce work a little quicker. If I get to do another game jam in the future I will remember what I learnt this week and will look forward to the next one.

This is a screenshot of what our game looked liked. As you can see we where going with the retro look with our game play,
 These are some of the character stereotypes that I drew for the game jam.


Game progress


(This is my game progress from my term week)

I took in what my tutor had said in the mid unit review and added the odd few changes to my game as much as I can. I would say my game is complete now. In the term I finished with placing assets and inspecting objects and making the home more realistic I did this with lighting and assets that I downloaded. I added all the sound cues in my game now. I was told to change the location of some of my interaction keys such as the opening of the door and inventory keys. I have now change this as the keys were to far away as this can be difficult for the player. I was told that the objects are a little to hard to find within the game and it can a bit confusing on what the player can and can't collect so on the inspecting of objects (The objects that you pick up and can rotate but can not collect) I decided to place text above them objects this makes it easier for the player. I also was told to add a cross hair to my view port so the player can clearly see where they are aiming when collecting and inspecting objects etc...,I chose a simple none intrusive marker. Also I had my brother play my game when I was home for term he suggested that I make the outside area (Where the game ends) bigger as he says it like walking into another room.  I made it bigger with added assets and lighting, Even though it still looks like a room it does feels more open and outside like.


This image shows the crosshair as you can see it is very faint, but in game it does still show well enough to guide the player.



These three images show the before and after of the inspecting object, the first shows the object in it first position and then the second shows the object being inspected (Rotated/lifted) and the 3rd image shows the text with its instruction which is newly added. And it also shows the newly added crosshair.

This image shows the sound cue blueprints.


Image shows my game scene from a top down prospective. This shows how I have created the outside areas, as you can see it is bigger.


These two images show some rendered shots of my game.

Throughout my game the 3D models that I did use for this project were from such websites:
https://www.cgtrader.com
http://tf3dm.com
http://archive3d.net
https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/free
http://www.sweethome3d.com/freeModels.jsp

No comments:

Post a Comment