Sunday 6 November 2016

Seminar Task 3.





Bogost, Ian, ‘Video Games Are Better Without Characters,’ The Atlantic, March13,2015[http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/03/video-games-are-better-without-characters/387556/]

1.What does the author think that games are for, or how they should function?
2.Why do you think they claim this?
3.Who might think differently and why?
4.How persuasive do you find the author’s argument?

What does the author think that games are for, or how they should function?

The author thinks that you do not need characters in a game such as ‘Sim City’. The game got us players to think about the relationship. You immerse yourself within the game. The sims for example is a great example of this. 

Why do they claim this?

I believe the author thinks that players want to escape into a virtual world as some would like to escape their own reality even if it is for a short time. People feel more powerful in a video game as you can build a character that represents you, but you are freely able to accustom that character to your own liking, and in doing so you feel you have achieved something in the real world.

Who might think differently and why? 

I think a person who feels like their life is exciting enough or does not have the time or money would not feel or know the need to escape through a video game.

How persuasive do you find the author’s argument?

I agree in what the author is saying, I believe that the study of 11 to 18 year old that where surveyed that less than 40% boys preferred to play as male characters where 60% of girls who play games play as a female character. I can see how this is correct. It shows that these girls and boys play as their own sex maybe because they feel more immersed in the game they are playing so to them it maybe more believable that it could represent them. I personally play games to let myself immerse into a game to kill time or relax. As I am a female gamer when I play as a character in a video game I usually play as a male character depending on the game. I feel like some of the games I play such as ‘Dragon age’ a male character seems more fitting and I also like to play as a male character because it is something different from reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment