Friday 13 January 2017

Weekly Summary

This is the first week back from our Christmas break. Our first session this week we had a lecture on colour theory and how to use colours correctly. It was good to go over this again as the last time I did was a few years ago back in college.



This painting is using the Analogous colour harmony, the middle colour of the wheel shown here is very much more dominating than the other two, you can see this is the featured back area of this painting this is the portion pulling the eye to the back of the painting to the higher value of the blue hue. The other two hues on this wheel are much more saturated than the other middle hue on the wheel. The painting is giving off a cool temperature, but the skin tone here can bring a sense of warmth to the upper part of the painting.

 This painting is using Monochromatic colour harmony, this painting is using just one hue to give this painting it's atmosphere. The hue in this painting is being altered by different saturation and value adjustments. The painting is a lot darker in the foreground and going into lighter a hue the further the distance. The painting in itself has a cool temperature all round, With the added mist to this painting it does not give this painting a warmth feel at all.

This painting is using a complementary colour harmony. These two colours can work well together in a painting but if not used correctly they can conflict each other. The painting has a warm temperature because of the orange tones nearer the front and middle then changing into cooler tones at the back. The painting become quite saturated at the far back with the two tones mixing. This painting is very busy even though I think the painter has not done a bad job with mixing the two tones together.

In Z brush this week I continued with my Swamp creature. I did manage to add a bit more detail in this session. I was mainly spending most my time in this session getting a more solid shape and definition.

In contextual studies this week we looked at games as learning tools. I found this lecture quite interesting especially the part were we where told that the game 'Minecraft' is being used in some schools to teach children certain subjects like science. I think this is a brilliant way or teaching children. Most children nowadays who know the game and associate Minecraft as a fun past time, so when the children play this in schools they will be learning the subject as well as having fun. This is a great way to keep children's attention and I believe it will be used more in the coming years.

Also this week we had a VFX guest speaker come in called Lorene Bettker, she has worked on Fantastic Beast and Where To Find Them, Guardians of the Galaxy, and the new live action Beauty and the Beast. Her job in the industry is a lighting technical director. Although she does film this was still a lecture that I did take notes on and her experiences with employment,portfolios and the interview process was still good to know.

Also this week I was busy finishing my two final development pieces.

Development project


The focus this week for my development project was to get my snow soldier and samurai warrior characters completed to their final stages.



The second final piece that I completed was the snow solider, I found this to be the most difficult painting to complete because I was unsure on the design. Overall with the second piece when I was finishing up and adding the detail to the characters clothing etc...I started to get more into the painting and finally ended up with my final outcome. I added a snow mountain background with added characters and space craft for a added touch. I think the background for my second piece is stronger than my final tribal painting one, although I have a long way to go with learning how to paint backgrounds.

My final piece that I finished this week was the samurai warrior. I wanted this character to be very sci fi like, by doing this I added the glow lighting to his Armour and weapon. I added a dead persons hand to the painting to give the impression that the warrior has killed his enemy. I placed my character in a forest environment as I felt this to be the right setting, maybe I was influenced by a Tekken character called 'Yoshimitsu' as he is seen in a scene like a forest in the games. I added a lot of detail to this character with added blood and dirt for example, I did this because I wanted the viewer to gain a sense of story to the painting by adding such details. Overall I believe this is my strongest development final piece out of the others. I enjoyed the project and felt I had learnt a lot by doing this project. 





No comments:

Post a Comment