Monday 14 March 2016

Broken Pillar model creation stage.

My Pillar had to be first created in Maya only starting from a basic base model, I chose to go with a simple shape that could easily be recognised as a pillar. I wanted the pillar to be well worn, to do this the best way to get these results would be importing the base model into z brush.  Below I'm going to show the stages of my pillar from the start nearing the UV stage.


This is my simple shape, the base model that would be imported into z brush. The base model was done fairly easily and didn't take to long, it consists of extruding from a cube shape and moulding it into a shape that I wanted, this was done at the bottom of the base. The block on top of the bottom base was created and then duplicated a few times. The top block was also moulded to a shape I wanted. I didn't want to make it to square in shape.


This is the pillar in high poly mode in Z brush, I found this piece very experimental I enjoyed creating it and I think the texture of a rock came out well, but maybe a little to much detail was added  to it. The brushes that I used were clay tubes and alpha brushes to give it the detail that it has. I did use a few more brushes as well.

I then had to decimate the pillar so it didn't have such a high poly count I had to lower the poly's to 10k or under, I believe mine came around 7k. I was disappointed with the outcome of my pillar when it was decimated as I found it lost a lot of it's shape. A clear example of this is the top of the pillar it now has curved edges.


I then imported my pillar into Maya once again and then used the quad draw tool to make a low poly of the pillar. The low poly model was then UV mapped.


This is the normal map from my pillar which was baked using X normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment